Friday, August 29, 2008

A whole new ball game

As varied as my interests are, politics doesn't usually top the list. Hubby, on the other hand, loves to stay up-to-date on all of the current happenings, both in and out of Washington, and he's very good about passing along all the important news. After today's developments, however, I think I'll be paying closer attention...

For the past several months, as the race for President has limped along, I've not been thrilled with the developments. I've just never been crazy about John McCain (given the alternative, however, he'd certainly be my choice). As of today, however, with the official introduction of Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate, I'm sold. A long-time citizen of the state of Alaska, this socially conservative mother of five seems to have taken the political world by storm. I'm extremely impressed with what I've seen of her thus far, but there's one issue in particular that has emphatically tipped the scales in her direction. Palin values life, plain and simple. After the birth of her fifth child this past April, a son born with Down's Syndrome, she released this statement:

"Trig is beautiful and already adored by us. We knew through
early testing he would face special challenges,
and we feel privileged that God would entrust us
with this gift and allow us unspeakable joy
as he entered our lives. We have faith that every baby
is created for good purpose and has potential to make
this world a better place. We are truly blessed."

Well said, Mrs. Palin... you have my vote.

No comments: