Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A few good books

So here's my pitiful confession: I am a literary delinquent. I'm surrounded by great books, I was educated on great books, I revise lists of great books (daily!) for my boys to enjoy, and yet I never read those great books for myself. For my own pleasure. Ever.

To put it in to perspective-- I cannot remember the last good book I read, just for fun. Pretty sad, huh? Yes, I read lots of great books aloud to my boys, and yes, I enjoy most of them tremendously, but open up a bestseller for my own personal gain? Well, it just doesn't happen. And yes, I know the many benefits that flow naturally from a helthy diet of literary works-- that's why I'm always tweaking the boys' lists... to make sure they read all the best stuff. But take the time for myself to tackle one-- somehow, it just doesn't happen. No, instead life happens. And one thing or another requires my attention until voila... another day passes without any me/book time.

So what's the point, you ask? Well, I'll tell ya-- embarrassed terribly by this pathetic reality, I'm determined to make a change. There are so many fantastic books on the book shelves nowadays; I simply must make time for a few of them.

So, over the past few weeks I've been collecting titles and I've been compiling a list... for me. Most of them are ones I've never read, though there are a few that I enjoyed eons ago and would love to appreciate once again. As for the assortment: there are a few education-related titles, a few christian living ones, some parenting books, some modern fiction, and a few juvenile fiction titles, as well (specifically ones I've seen on the lists of others-- ones their kiddos enjoyed... ones that I just might pass along to my boys if they pass muster.). There are a few classics on the list and quite possibly a few other titles that don't really fit in to any of the aforementioned categories. Either way, these books will keep me busy for quite some time (though hopefully I'll embrace this new challenge and fly through my list quickly. And then I'll make another list!). So, onward and upward as I resume an old habit that never should have been relegated to the bottom rung of my to-do-list~

Without further ado, here's my list (in no particular order):

Sacred Marriage-- Gary Thomas
O Pioneers!-- Willa Cather
Till We Have Faces-- C.S. Lewis
The Count of Monte Cristo-- Alexandre Dumas
Little Women-- Louisa May Alcott
The Giver-- Lois Lowry
The Thief Lord-- Cynthia Funke
Maggie Rose: Her Birthday Christmas-- Ruth Sawyer
Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading-- Lawrence Goldstone
Three Cups of Tea-- Greg Mortenson
Cheaper by the Dozen-- Frank Gilbreth
The Latin-Centered Curriculum, 2nd edition-- Andrew Campbell
My Antonia-- Willa Cather
The Little French Girl-- Anne Douglas Sedgwick
Raising a Modern-Day Knight-- Robert Lewis
He Speaks to Me-- Priscilla Shirer
The Hole in Our Gospel-- Richard Stearns
The Mysterious Benedict Society-- Trenton Lee Stewart
The Silver Chalice-- Thomas B. Costain
Anne of Green Gables-- L.M. Montgomery
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn-- Betty Smith
Ruth-- Elizabeth Gaskell
I Dared to Call Him Father-- Bilquis Sheikh
David Copperfield-- Charles Dickens
To Kill a Mockingbird-- Harper Lee
Les Miserables-- Victor Hugo
A Year in Provence-- Peter Mayle
Hind's Feet on High Places-- Hannah Hurnard
The Bronze Bow-- Elizabeth George Speare
The Scarlet Pimpernel-- Baroness Emma Orczy
A Wrinkle in Time-- Madeleine L'Engle
The Pursuit of God-- A.W. Tozer
Mere Christianity-- C.S. Lewis

So there it is~ lots-o-books to keep me busy for lots-o-time... wish me luck!

oh, p.s.-- if any of you have any favorites in any genre, please pass the titles along-- I'd actually love to add a few more to my list! thanks :)

7 comments:

Skeller said...

ooooh! some of my favorites! looks like a terrific list. Good luck!!!!

Right now I'm reading Anne of Windy Poplars (part of the Anne of Green Gables series). It's sweet and funny and poignant all at once. I think it's probably my favorite after the original book.

Anonymous said...

Heather

The only way I got back in the habit of reading regularly was to literally but the task on my daily list. I would read a minimum of 25 pages a day. Of course with life changing for me, I can read lots more now, but the idea that it was something to be done before the day was out helped me get started on my favorite hobby. Enjoy the time and the reading!! Love ya, Moggie

gretchen said...

I'm reading a fun book now... The Dead Don't Dance. It's a just for fun book. I also have William Henry is a Fine Name waiting in the wings. I've started reading again. It's hard to do when you have little ones... and big ones always needing something! If you're interested we could read a few on your list together and discuss. It would give us a reason to call - LIKE WE DON'T HAVE ENOUGH OF THOSE ALREADY! :)

gretchen said...

Oooo- now you need to sign up with Shelfari and get a bookshelf to put on your blog so that we can keep up with you. :)

Heather said...

Susan & G-- thanks so much for the encouragement and the recommendations... I'll definitely add them to the list!

And G, toss in a little Bruesters and you're on :)

Mog-- I *love* this idea! I'm a list maker these days, so having a block of reading written on my planner, well... then it *has * to get done! At least that way I'll have another thing to cross off (and sometimes that's the best part!)-- love you!

gretchen said...

I would never pass up a reason for Brusters. Consider it done!

Phyllis Geleynse said...

What a great list! You're going to enjoy those books! While I could mention numerous of my favourites, I'll only suggest that you add on a Jane Austen, if you haven't already read one of hers: Sense & Sensibility or Pride & Prejudice.

Enjoy your reading!