Friday, January 8, 2010

My 2010 book list

Alrighty, it's a new year, and you know what that means... time for a new book list! Last April, I started reading again (for pleasure, that is :) and at the time, I shared a list ... an overly ambitious list... of titles that I wanted to tackle first and foremost. Well, I made it through many of them (and a few additional ones, too), but lots of those books never made it off the library shelf (or my own, for that matter :). I still want to read every single one of those selections very much, so as I worked on compiling my new list, I decided to just tack those guys on to the end of this one. That makes for a whole lotta books, but who knows? I'm starting in January (as opposed to late April last year), and I'm having a ball! I'm also marveling at some of these great works-- the fact that I never read them before! Anyhoo... as I like to say, onward and upward! To books!

In no particular order:

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather
A Dog's Life by Peter Mayle
The Testament by John Grisham
Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
April 1865 by Jay Winik
I am David by Anne Holm
The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas
Love & Respect by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs
Watership Down by Richard Adams
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
The Dean's Watch by Elizabeth Goudge
William Henry is a Fine Name by Cathy Gohlke
The Divine Mentor by Wayner Cordeiro
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
Gods and Kings by Lynn Austin
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Crazy Love by Francis Chan
1776 by David McCullough
John Adams by David McCullough
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Going Rogue by Sarah Palin
The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

And from last year's list:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandra Dumas
Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids, and the Bond of Reading by Lawrence Goldstone
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
My Antonia by Willa Cather
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank Gilbreth
I Dared to Call Him Father by Bilquis Sheikh
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
The Silver Chalice by Thomas B. Castain
The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emma Orczy

Whew! Lots-o-books to keep me busy in the weeks and months to come. And if I've missed any one's favorites, please, please, please pass along a few more titles! I've been out of the literary loop for so long... I need more worthwhile choices!

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Look at you!!! I'm so impressed!!

I see some books on your list that I've been wanting to read, too! Keep us posted and let us know which ones you like best! ;)

Skeller said...

Hey,
I recognize some of those titles ;-). And I've got a couple of Heidi's books on my mental-to-read-in-the-near-future list. Methinks it will be a good year for books!

Anonymous said...

What a list! Remember, a few pages a day works. If you want to read "nothing, nonedifying" books, I know a few mysteries you could breeze through in between the tomes you have chosen for yourself. Moggie

Linda said...

A wonderful list Heather! I've read quite a few of them, but there are new ones there for me too. I just bought a great book: "Honey For A Woman's Heart" by Gladys Hunt. Just like her book "Honey For a Child's Heart" there are oodles of amazing book ideas. I used the children's book for my daughter and we both discovered wonderful books. I can't wait to read some of the books she's suggested - and some you have too.
Isn't reading great?
Thank you for your dear comment. You are very dear.

gretchen said...

God's and Kings is one of the Best I've ever read! Loved the entire series!