Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sometimes...

Sometimes the news on the other end of the telephone is NOT what I want to hear.

Sometimes the verdict handed down is NOT what I'm expecting.

Sometimes the answer I've been anticipating in NOT forthcoming.

And sometimes, as a result, my fears assail me.
My anxieties overwhelm me.
My worries flood over me.

Because sometimes my world feels like it's crashing in... like its very foundations are shaking to the core.

And sometimes I simply canNOT handle the load I've been given.

And as a result I question and doubt and fret and worry and wonder, why, LORD, why?

And then sometimes I just need to be reminded...

that the LORD who created the universe,
the LORD who formed the fish of the sea & the birds of the air,
the LORD who made me, "fearfully & wonderfully,"
the LORD who stepped down from His throne
to enter this fallen world in the form of a helpless babe,
the LORD who gave His very life for me
and then rose from the grave three days later,

still cares.
And loves.
And protects.
And defends.
And comforts.
And uplifts.
And heals.

And that nothing, absolutely NOTHING, takes Him by surprise.
Nothing, absolutely NOTHING, happens by accident.
And nothing, absolutely NOTHING, is impossible with HIM.

Sometimes I need to remember.

So that as I'm tempted to question and doubt and fret and worry,
I'm able to recall that
the LORD uses our crises,
our moments of panic and struggle,
our periods of grief and despair,
for His glory....
for His divine purposes...
for His will to be accomplished IN us and THROUGH us.

And that I need to expect... to anticipate... the revelation of that almighty glory.

I need to remember that God still sits on His throne.

That He has not forsaken,
He has not forgotten,
He has not stopped loving or caring or protecting or defending,
And that He's here, in the midst of it all.
And He always will be.

Sometimes I just need to remember....

"I lift up my eyes to the hills--
where does my help come from?

My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip--
He who watches over you will not slumber;

indeed, He who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD watches over you--
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;

the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.

The LORD will keep you from all harm--
He will watch over your life;

the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore."

Psalm 121

6 comments:

gretchen said...

Hi friend - loved the post - check your email. :) Prayed for you guys this morning.

Carrie said...

Heather, ... what an encouraging post! I just hate to hear that you are dealing with something so overwhelming, but I'm so encouraged that you ran right into the arms of the God of All Comfort. I'm praying for you here!

You will keep him in perfect peace, Whose mind is stayed on You because he trusts in You. Is. 26:3

Love you, My Cyber-Friend!

60 toes said...

heather, I have been reading your blog posts regularly and have been missing you.

Can you email me your phone # I would love to call and catch up.

Miss you, friend.

charadam@aol.com still the same

wilma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Skeller said...

amen. And Amen.

Linda said...

Yes Heather, I have had moments in recent years where my faith has been shaken to the core. The only place of hope and peace is in Him. If I can remind my fearful, doubting heart that He is all He has said He is and will do all He has promised to do, I feel the ground under my feet grow firm.
I confess, there are times I have to do it all over again (thinking it has all been settled), but He is always faithful. The peace He has promised really does come.
This one came straight from your heart to mine. Thank you so much for sharing your precious heart.