Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A fresh commitment

Yesterday, while reading through the Living Proof Ministries blog (I had a bit of catching up to do), I stumbled across this post.  In it, Beth Moore challenges her readers/her sisters is Christ/her "siestas" to plan right now for a "Jesus year."  That is, a year with a fresh commitment to seeking and pursuing almighty God.  A year of Christ-centered thinking and living.  A year of utter dependency on Jesus. No more wallowing in self-pity.  No more complacency.  No more living in defeat.  Nope, none of those.  Just victorious living in the power of the risen Christ... that's the goal for 2009~

Now, such a thing is no small task.  It requires commitment and discipline and persistence and trust.  And it requires a conscious choice to saturate our minds with the Word of God.  In her post,  Beth reminds us that "the more God's Word abides in us, the more the mind of Christ is developed in us."  And that's what we want.  The mind of Christ.  In us.  All day.  Everyday.  And in all things.  And praise God-- He is faithful!  He hears the cries of His people, and His Word promises that when we seek Him, we will find Him.  So, with that in mind... I set forth, accepting the challenge as I, too, desire a "Jesus-kind-of-year." 

I almost forgot... the challenge: memorize 24 verses in a year, a new one on the 1st and 15th of every month.  Any verse, any passage. Just read.  And study.  And meditate.  Retain.  Assimilate.  Rinse. Repeat. And trust almighty God for a mighty work in you~ 

I'm on board, and this is where I'm starting:

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

Hebrews 12:1-2

It's already the 6th of January, so I'm starting a bit late.  I guess I'd best get hot!  Only 9 days until verse #2 is due... and then I'll be back with my next installment :)

Anybody want to join me??

1 comment:

gretchen said...

Let us not forget our favorite verse - "Very early in the morning... while it was still dark..."

I'm in. Praying for you sister. I miss you tons!