Friday, October 15, 2010

Our favortite books for autumn


Now that fall is well under way, I thought I'd share a few of our seasonal favorites...
a handful of titles we revisit every single time autumn rolls around.


... beautiful watercolors fill every page as Mousekin's first adventure unfolds~
a charming story and a delightful first in this now out of print series
(yet so worth the time it takes you to track a copy down).
A favorite from my childhood;
now one of my children's, as well.


Ox-cart man by Donald Hall
A classic... a must-read... a lovely glimpse at life back then


One of our very favorites from our Five in a Row days~
We discovered this one when Bub was 5 years-old... and simply can't get enough of it!


The Scarecrow's Hat by Ken Brown
A lesson in perseverance and a bit of thoughtful thinking... charming!


Johnny Appleseed by Reeve Lindbergh
One of our favorite John Chapman retellings...
filled with gorgeous paintings and wonderfully lyrical verse.
My littlest ones just love to pour over these pages!


Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert
Very, very fun! Again, one that my littlest people adore~


Cranberry Thanksgiving by Wende & Harry Devlin
Another treasure from Five in A Row~
A Thanksgiving tradition around here, almost as much so as turkey & mashed taters...
my eldest ones still huddle around for this delightful tale!


4 comments:

The dB family said...

Thank you for the list! We're just a little bit addicted to books, so I will keep these in mind as new additions to our shelves. I love the Mousekin books. They're adorable!

Blessings!
Deborah

Kellie said...

I think I remember the Mousekin books from childhood too. Sadly, my library doesn't have the first one -- but it does have the Thanksgiving one. I just reserved several of your recommendations, so thank you for this post!

Carrie said...

This is perfect, Heather! We are going to have a "light week" (Fall Break) next week! Maybe we'll head out to the library Monday morning with your list!! ;)

Christine said...

Delightful suggestions! Sadly I'm only familiar with 2 of them -- the Ox-cart Man and How to Make an Apple Pie. I'll have to see if our library has any of these treasures. Thanks so much for this wonderful list! Happy weekend, friend!