Friday, August 6, 2010

Still. learning. one. day. at. a. time.

Alrighty. Earlier this summer I made a confession:

I was stressed. I was overwhelmed. I was plumb tuckered out. BUT God, in His infinite grace-full-ness, spoke a word over me, infused me with His power, and set me on the straight and narrow... resting in Him, secure in His provision, quiet in heart... free!

Now, however, on this 6th day of August, it's time for another confession:

I've wandered from that lovely place... from that burden-less straight and narrow. And I've wandered far. Yes, that wonderful feeling of heaven-sent peace that washed over me those many weeks ago... it's gone. Of course, not because the Lord removed it from me, but because I chose to stray in my own weary fashion... and yes, my OWN weary fashion looks nothing like His perfect one.

And as a result, I've fallen prey to those same struggles yet AGAIN.

I've stressed AGAIN. I've grumbled AGAIN. And I've allowed myself to return to that oh-so-ugly place of panic one. more. time.

Because school is quickly approaching. Along with a course in 20th century history (a class I'll be co-teaching for junior high students). And of course-- the end of a lazy hazy summer that's been anything but.

And that... well... that makes for a rather frazzled and frizzled mama (instead of a loving and generous and patient and quiet and tender and full-of-grace mama), and as most of us know, when the gal in charge is in that sort of state, stand back.

Can I get an 'amen'??

Enter Tsh at Simple Mom this morning with this utterly profound, stopped-me-in-my-tracks declaration: Stress is a choice. Yep, that one got me.

"Stress is a choice. Do you buy that? Some people have a hard time with the idea. ...
Yes, bad things happen: The economy sours, our business struggles, the stock market tumbles, jobs are lost, people around us don't follow through, deadlines are missed, projects fail,
good people leave. Life is full of these. But still, stress is a choice
because whatever the 'trigger event,' we always choose our own response.
We choose to react angrily. We choose to stuff our emotions and keep quiet.
We choose to worry. ... Stress is a choice."

~John G. Miller, QBQ! The Question Behind the Question


AND THEN... just 30 minutes later, Kelly Minter (the author of my biblestudy) had to jump on the bandwagon as well.

With regards to Ruth and Boaz and the scene that unfolds in chapter 3, verses 14-18~

[Drawing from Christ so that we can generously pour love on others]
"can be hard to practice because receiving our supply from God isn't always as tangible
as a bag of grain, a fish, or a piece of bread [as seen in Matthew 15:29-37]
that we walk up and take from His hand. It may be something concrete,
but many times it's a supply of patience, forgiveness, love, wisdom, or comfort
that we desperately need from Him so we can pour it out on someone else--
just like Ruth did for Naomi with the grain.
This kind of spiritual supply comes from being in Jesus' presence.
Meditating on the pages of Scripture.
Committing to focused prayer.
Waiting quietly on Him so our spirits can learn his voice.
Ruth knew where Boaz was, she sought him out, and she lay at his feet.
It is not surprising she walked away with something to offer someone else" (page 111).


Nothing new.
Nothing I haven't heard before.
But something I all too quickly forget.

Something I need to hear over and over and over again.

Something I need to LIVE by... every moment... every day... as I shower His Love on my little people... every chance I get... while He meets my every need and enables my stress-free living~

Starting now.

"Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint."

Isaiah 40:28-31

2 comments:

Linda said...

Oh Heather, I have a mental picture of the Father tucking you under His great arm right now. How He delights when we run to Him.
This just left me with tears in my eyes. I have been where you are so often. It is part of this journey we are on - sometimes stumbling and falling but always moving back to Him.
Praying for grace and strength for this day.

John G. Miller said...

Heather, i am honored that you and Tsh would quote my QBQ! book. So kind! Yes, many things happen to us all, but how we respond is critical. The "world" does not create my stress - I do! John G. Miller, John@QBQ.com, www.QBQ.com