Friday, February 19, 2010

This morning

It's been one of those weeks. Well, not a full week, really. Just a few days of running, running, running. Laundry, laundry, laundry. Dishes , dishes, dishes. Mess, mess, mess. And I'm tired. Tired of the constant. Of the never-ending. Of the repetitiveness of it all. How many times am I going to wash these same dishes? Scrub these same pans? Repack this same cabinet?

Oh, I could sit and grumble for hours. I could pout and grump and grimace all day long (and sometimes, truth be told, I think I have). But this morning, the Lord reminded me... through the servant heart of Ann in this timely little post-- it doesn't have to be perfect. The house is not a museum. It's not on display and the Queen of England is not preparing to stop by.

No, it's our home. It's where we live and play and learn and forgive. It's where we accept and nurture and embrace and serve. And it's where LOVE abides. God's love-- pure, unadulterated, selfless, sacrificial... perfect from start to finish. Forever.

And... praise God!... when LOVE abides, the mirrors don't have to be spotless. The counters don't have to be clean. The windows don't have to sparkle, and the floors don't have to shine. Because He lives here... in all His wonder, in all His grace, in all His beauty, in all His strength. And when He abides, we are complete, we are whole, we are safe, we are free... to dance and laugh and sing and play... to accept the lego-covered floor (because busy, creative minds flourish there), to understand the always dish-filled sink (because ever-growing bodies put them there), to look past the mountain of under-bed and bed-side books (because lifetime learning happens there).

This morning I am free to remember that this house... the Lord didn't provide it as a showcase to the world. Instead, He stretched out His hand and offered this place... for us. To live securely and peacefully and fret-lessly and joyfully... to embrace life-- true Life-- found in His heart, His truth, His ways. And as I focus on that, as I remember why I'm truly here, the rest just sorta slips away.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Love it!

Heather ~ Thanks so much for the beautiful reminder of what's important. You are a gifted writer ... I also find inspiration and encouragement to draw closer to Him when I visit! Thanks for being a blessing in my life! ;)

Anonymous said...

Amen!! It's a shame we don't always remember your sentiments. They apply to all of us. Give hugs and kisses from us. Gramoggie

gretchen said...

Sounds like you and I have had the same kind of week. Love you, sister! Praying... I haven't been ignoring you... just have been too exhausted to call - you know the feeling... I had just forgotten... it's been a while. And having my two blessings to keep up with makes it more challenging. :) Love Ann's blog... she really has touched my heart this week too. :) I'll try to chat with you sometime this weekend. :) love ya girl! Hugs to all.

Linda said...

Such wonderful wisdom Heather. I can say, without a doubt, that I have never looked back at the days when our children were all young and said I wish I had been a better housekeeper. It is those precious lives that matter most.

Leslie said...

Such freedom! (It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. ~ Galatians something...) Yes, and "if we have food and clothing we will be content with that" ~ 1 Tim.? I should have checked in to read this post yesterday!!! Missy comes today--thank you Gramoggie! Forgive my rambling, and thanks for this powerful reminder, Heath! Love, :) Les